Friday 18 February 2011

Grapes


I never painted grapes before. Neither did I draw them with pencils. I knew I could do them in coloured pencil. They are much like blueberries. And I did blueberries years ago. Getting the bloom just right was a wonderful challenge. When I bought these grapes I knew the bloom would be the most difficult bit. But I didn't want to do another coloured pencil drawing. I decided to try it in watercolour. Pretty scary to be honest. So first I tried one. It's the one in the front. It wasn't at all as hard as I thought it would be. It actually was quite fun. So I painted a small group behind the loose one. I tried out a few different techniques but they all resulted in the same nice surface. Funny enough the hardest part was to find out what colour to use in the shadows. I finally found sepia with a bit of permanent alizarine crimson the best choice.
.

9 comments:

Ingrid Lee said...

The dust on these grapes have been executed brilliantly. The depth of colour is beautiful also :)

AtelierBrigitte said...

They look so real - I just want to grab one and eat.

bellis perennis said...

Your realy talented they look so real I love them

Sigrid Frensen said...

Ingrid, Thanks sweety
Brigitte, Dankje ;))
Bellis, Jij ook bedankt ;)

Joan Y said...

Sepia?! I'll have to try that! Your grapes are the best Siggy!

A Brush with Color said...

Wow, Sigrid! They're awesome! I didn't see them finished--these are amazing.

Inky Leaves said...

Grapes are a really scarey subject, but I found also that once you understood them, their colours and the way the light behaves inside them and the bloom. Once you get it, it is like a penny dropping and you can keep going. I haven't done black ones yet, only red... but I am up for the challange. You have inspired me!

Stephen Hall said...

These look so real... xx

Anonymous said...

I needed some grapes for a photoshop project, and I saw these and said.. Perfect!

I hadn't even realized they were drawn.. amazing.